When the characters in Inside Out first move to San Francisco, they grab a slice of pizza that just happens to have broccoli on it. While I have had this before (and honestly don’t mind it), my dragons much prefer a pizza with meat toppings, only.
For our Inside Out day, we made our favorite homemade pizza crust and loaded it with favorite toppings. Make sure you plan ahead- this dough needs to rise for around an hour! We made this, did our crafts, and then watched the movie.
- 1.5 tsp active dry yeast
- 3/4 C warm water
- 1 heaping TBSP sugar
- 2 TBSP softened butter
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 C flour (we’ve used wheat, bleached, and unbleached- or a combination there of)
- corn meal *optional
- Pizza toppings of your choice!
- Put your yeast, water, and sugar in the bowl first (giving the yeast a little extra time to work some magic).
- Add the rest of your ingredients.
- Use a dough hook or wooden spoon to mix thoroughly. The dough should be wet, but not sticky. If needed, add a little extra olive oil or water to help with consistency if it’s dry.
- Let the dough rise for an hour or until it has grown in size. I have found that this doesn’t completely “double”.
- Once the dough has risen, preheat your oven to 400 and spray a cookie sheet or pizza pan with olive oil.
- Roll out the dough on your waiting pizza/cookie sheet. If you have it, sprinkle the sheet with corn meal. This gives the bottom of the pizza some texture that’s yummy- but not necessary if you don’t have it!
- Add your desired toppings! I always do the rule of: sauce, thin layer of cheese, toppings, more cheese.
- Cook your pizza for 18-22 minutes (until the sides look golden/crispy and the cheese is well melted).
Enjoy! What are your favorite pizza toppings? Mine are usually in the vegetable/fruit variety, but my dragons clearly love their MEAT.
2 Replies to “Homemade Pizza (hold the broccoli)”