In Raya and The Last Dragon, Raya carries around her own jackfruit jerky. She also shares it with Sisu, who clearly lets the audience know that it is not good.
We couldn’t come by any jackfruit easily, so we decided to make some homemade fruit strips, or “jerky”, for our Raya day!
*Please note that this IS time consuming. You have to let the jerky sit in the oven for a good 3-4 hours at the very least!*
– 4C of fruit (whatever combo you’d like to try! We used strawberries, blueberries, grapes, peaches, mango… all the things)
– 1/2 C maple syrup
– Heat your oven as low as it goes- or between 170° and 200°. Ours cooked at 190°
– Put your fruit and maple syrup in a blender/food processor and mix it up until it’s like a smoothie!
– Line two baking sheets with wax paper or silicone mats. Spread your mix over it with a spatula as evenly as possible.
– Bake in the oven for at least three hours. Check it by touching gently. It should be gooey but not mushy (your spoon or finger shouldn’t mush it easily).
– Once done, let it cool for 30minutes at least before cutting into shapes or strips.
*One of our sheets overlooked because I left it in TOO long and then it definitely felt like it was hard to bite- like Raya’s jackfruit jerky. While fun in the movie- not what we wanted!
One Reply to “Homemade Fruit “Jerky“”